The other day I was walking to work enjoying the beauty of a quiet morning, contemplating what was on my plate for the day when I faintly heard music playing…could it be…yes it was…The SPICE GIRLS! I looked around trying to figure out where it was coming from and why the Spice Girls were telling me “all you need is positivity…spice up your life”, or your Wednesday in my case. I quickly realized the music was just coming from my bag where I had thrown my phone a few moments before and in my haste obviously pressed the Pandora app (yes I have a Spice Girls station, what 90’s kid doesn’t!) but that didn’t matter, it was going to be a good day! I walked on with the biggest smile, laughing to myself, thinking did I really just believe ‘Spice Up Your Life’ was my new personal theme song?
What would be the theme song to your life be?
We were actually asked a very similar question when we interviewed for these positions. One of the advisors here makes it a point to ask this of each student during mock interviews as well and she’s got a point. Interviewers are trying to get to know you on many levels. They want to challenge you with tough questions that make you think creatively about who you are personally and professionally, so be ready for off the wall questions, like the ones below:
- If you could be any character in fiction, whom would you be?
- If you could be a super hero, what would you want your superpowers to be?
- If someone wrote a biography about you, what do you think the title should be?
- If you were shipwrecked on an island, but all your human needs, such as food and water, were taken care of, what two items would you want to with you?
- If you could have dinner with anyone from history, who would it be and why?
- If you could compare yourself with any animal, which would it be and why?
- If you were a type of food, what type of food would you be?
- If you were a car, what type would you be?
And just in case you didn’t think I was serious – these questions have actually been asked:
- “What song best describes your work ethic?” — Asked at Dell of a consumer sales candidate.
- “Jeff Bezos walks into your office and says you can have a million dollars to launch your best entrepreneurial idea. What is it?” — Asked at Amazon of product development candidate.
- “What do you think about when you are alone in your car?” — Asked at Gallup of associate analyst candidate.
- “What kitchen utensil would you be?” — Asked at Bandwidth.com of a marketer candidate.